Your guests will be asking for thirds with this dish!
Beer-Braised Beef Brisket
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook/Roast: 4 hours 40 minutes
- 1 fresh flat-cut beef brisket (about 6 to 7 pounds)
- 1 package (2 ounces) Our Family onion soup mix
- 1⁄4 cup Our Family olive oil
- 3 large Open Acres carrots, each cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 large tomatoes, each cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1 1⁄2 large Open Acres yellow onions, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Our Family crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 bottles (12 ounces each) beer
- 2 tablespoons Our Family margarine or salted butter
- Preheat oven to 300°. Cut brisket in half crosswise if necessary to fit into large roasting pan or Dutch oven. Rub brisket with 2 pouches onion soup mix. Heat pan over medium heat until hot. Add oil and heat until hot but not smoking. Add brisket and sear all sides until browned; place brisket, fat side down, in pan.
- Add carrots, bay leaves, tomatoes, onions and crushed red pepper to pan. Pour beer over brisket. Cover pan tightly with lid or foil. Roast brisket 4 to 5 hours until fork-tender.
- Remove and discard bay leaves. Remove brisket and vegetables from pan; keep warm. Skim and discard fat from pan drippings. Strain pan drippings into a medium saucepan. Simmer over medium heat 25 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat; add butter and stir until melted. Place brisket on cutting board and slice across the grain. Serve with vegetables and sauce.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 668 Calories, 36g Fat (12g Saturated), 210mg Cholesterol, 892mg Sodium, 11g Carbohydrates, 2g Fiber, 66g Protein