Braised Italian Short Ribs
Prep: 20 minutes
Roast/Cook: 2 hours 25 minutes
- 3 pounds Open Acres bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 tablespoon Our Family olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Our Family salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Our Family black pepper
- 1 can (14 ounces) Our Family low sodium beef broth
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, each cut crosswise in half
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1⁄2 cups dry red wine
- 1 1⁄2 pounds Open Acres new potatoes (about 12 potatoes), each cut in half
- 1 package (8 ounces) Open Acres white mushrooms, larger mushrooms cut in half
- 4 medium Open Acres carrots, each cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium celery ribs, each cut into 1 1⁄2-inch pieces (about 13 cups)
- 1 medium Open Acres onion, cut in half and sliced (about 1 cup)
- 5 teaspoons Our Family all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Our Family red wine vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 425°. Place short ribs in large roasting pan. Evenly coat ribs with oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast 45 minutes.
2. Reduce heat to 325°. Add broth, garlic, rosemary, bay leaves and wine to roasting pan. Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil or lid. Roast 45 minutes.
3. Add potatoes, mushrooms, carrots, celery and onion to roasting pan. Roast, covered, 45 minutes to 1 hour longer or until short ribs and vegetables are tender.
4. Transfer short ribs to large serving platter; keep warm. With slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to medium bowl; keep warm. Remove and discard rosemary sprigs and bay leaves. Place pan with drippings over medium heat; heat to simmering. Skim excess fat from drippings. Whisk in flour and simmer 1 minute. Reduce heat to low, and cook 10 minutes; stir in vinegar. Makes about 2 cups sauce. Serve sauce over short ribs and vegetables.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 431 Calories, 13g Fat (5g Saturated), 50mg Cholesterol, 329mg Sodium, 35g Carbohydrates, 5g Fiber, 28g Protein