Cheesy Scallion PotatoesCook: 55 minutes Prep: 15 minutes
- 3 Tbsp. Our Family® Butter
- 1 Small Open Acres® White Onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 Cup Our Family® All-Purpose Flower
- 2 Cups Our Family® 2% Milk
- 1 Cup Our Family® Chicken Stock
- 2 Tsp. Fresh thyme leaves, divided Salt
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 4 Pounds Open Acres® Yukon Gold Potatoes, sliced into 1/8-inch rounds
- 1 & 1/2 Tsp. Our Family® Salt
- 1/2 Tsp. Our Family® Black Pepper
- 2 Cups Our Family® Sharp Shredded Cheese, divided
- 1/2 Cup Our Family® Grated Parmesan Cheese
1. Sauté onion and garlic in butter until softened.
2. Stir in flour to form a roux to help to thicken the sauce, followed by the stock, milk, salt, pepper, and thyme. Cook until simmering. (Don’t let it boil.) Then remove it from the heat until you’re ready to put it to use.
3. Layer the potatoes. Spread half of the sliced potatoes in an even layer on the bottom of the pan. Top evenly with half of the cream sauce.
4. Sprinkle evenly with 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and all of the Parmesan cheese.
5. Top evenly with the remaining sliced potatoes, the other half of the cream sauce, and the remaining 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
6. Cover the pan lightly with aluminum foil and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly around the edges. Remove the foil and bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through and the cheese on top is nice and golden.
7. Cool. Transfer the pan to a wire cooling rack and sprinkle with the remaining teaspoon of thyme and extra Parmesan.
8. Enjoy while still warm!