A new type of pie for your holiday gathering!
Cranberry-Orange Walnut Crunch Pie
Prep: 30 minutes plus cooling and chilling
Bake: 35 minutes
- 1⁄2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts (1 pie crust)
- 1 bag (12 ounces) fresh cranberries (3 cups)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups refrigerated orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cup cold water
- 3 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Let pie crust stand at room temperature as label directs to soften slightly. Meanwhile, in medium saucepot, heat cranberries, granulated sugar, orange juice and zest, and salt; heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Boil 8 to 10 minutes or until most cranberries burst and mixture thickens slightly, stirring occasionally. In small bowl, whisk together water and cornstarch. Gradually stir cornstarch mixture into cranberry mixture; heat to boiling. Boil 1 minute or until mixture becomes thick, stirring constantly. Remove saucepot from heat.
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position. Line heavy rimmed baking pan with foil; place pan on lowest oven rack. Preheat oven to 375°.
- In medium bowl, combine nuts, flour and brown sugar. With fingertips, work in butter until pea-sized crumbs form.
- Unroll pie crust and place in 9-inch pie plate. If desired, make decorative edge. Spread cranberry filling into pie crust; sprinkle topping evenly over filling. Place pie on prepared baking pan in oven. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Cool pie on wire rack 1 hour, then cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
Chef TipsPie filling and topping may be prepared up to 2 days in advance and refrigerated. Baking pie on lowest oven rack on preheated baking pan ensures a fully baked bottom crust. Serve pie “à la mode” with vanilla ice cream.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 561 Calories, 22g Fat (4g Saturated), 20mg Cholesterol, 212mg Sodium, 90g Carbohydrates, 2g Fiber, 5g Protein