Colorful, creamy, and savory, this is one side dish that could very well be the star of your dinner plate!
Creamed Spinach-Stuffed Tomatoes
Prep: 20 minutes
Broil: 2 minutes
- Our Family® Nonstick Cooking Spray
- 4 medium tomatoes (about 8 ounces each)
- 1 tbsp. Our Family® Unsalted Butter
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed with press
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen creamed spinach, thawed
- ½ tsp. Our Family® Salt
- ¼ tsp. Our Family® Ground Black Pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded (about ¾ cup)
- Place oven rack about 6 inches from source of heat. Preheat broiler. Spray 8 x 8 inch glass or ceramic baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. With sharp knife, cut off ¼ inch from stem end of each tomato. With spoon, carefully scoop out pulp and seeds from tomatoes making sure bottom and side of tomatoes are intact. Place tomatoes, cut side up, in prepared baking dish.
- In large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic, and onion, and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in creamed spinach, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper, and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until mixture simmers, stirring occasionally. Remove skillet from heat and stir in ½ cup cheese.
- Evenly spoon creamed spinach mixture into tomatoes; sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup cheese. Broil tomatoes 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 260 Calories, 18g Fat (8g Saturated), 40mg Cholesterol, 548mg Sodium, 17g Carbohydrates, 4g Fiber, 10g Protein
Submit your review