Ingredients for Chili Recipe
- 3 cups water
- 1 ½ lb. chicken – white and dark meat
- 3 cans green enchilada sauce
- 3 – 4 cans Our Family Cannellini Beans or Black Beans
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ green pepper, diced
- 1 tsp. chicken base or 1 can of Our Family Chicken Broth
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. Our Family Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Sofrito sauce to taste
- 1 chocolate bar (Mexican, or if sweeter is desired – choose a milk chocolate)
- Our Family Salt and Pepper to taste
Ingredients for Topping
- Our Family Sour Cream
- Our Family Shredded Cheese
Ingredients for Sofrito
- Small can chipotle chilies in adobe sauce
- 1 Plababo chile
- 1 ancho chile
- 1 medium onion
- 1 green pepper
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 lime
- Salt/pepper to taste
Directions for Chili
- Boil chicken in 2 cans of enchilada sauce, water, chicken, broth
- When done boiling, shred chicken and put in a bowl. It is easiest to shred the chicken in a bowl with a hand mixer.
- Don’t drain the pot that you used to boil the chicken in. Add in the last can of enchilada sauce and beans. Bring up the temperature and add sofrito sauce to taste (it is wise to start with 2 tsp.) Add the shredded chicken back in to the pot. Add the chocolate bar, cumin, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Simmer until ready to serve.
- If you prefer a thicker chili, you can add maso flour mixed with water to the mixture.
- Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, chips or corn bread.
Directions for Sofrito
- Roast peppers with a torch
- Peel, deseed and devein peppers
- Put all peppers into a blender and blend until smooth. Add in juice from the line, salt and pepper to taste.
Chad’s tip: You can freeze the sofrita sauce to use for later or use as a marinade.