Filling and warm to help you on even the coldest of fall days!
French Beef Stew in a Bread Bowl
Prep: 25 minutes
Cook: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 3 cups cooked rump or bottom round roast, cut into 3⁄4-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp. Our Family® All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tbsp. Our Family® Olive Oil
- 1 can (14 oz.) less-sodium beef broth (1 3⁄4 cups)
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 can (28 oz.) Our Family® Whole Peeled Tomatoes in Juice
- 1 tbsp. Our Family® Tomato Paste
- 4 medium Open Acres® Carrots, cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces (about 1 1⁄2 cups)
- 2 medium Open Acres® Idaho Russet Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium leek, cut lengthwise in half, then thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1⁄2 tsp. Our Family® Salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. Our Family® Ground Black Pepper
- 4 sourdough bread bowls (8 oz. each)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves (optional)
- In large bowl, toss beef with flour to coat. In 5- to 6-quart saucepot, heat oil over medium-high heat until very hot. Add beef and cook 5 minutes to brown, stirring occasionally. Add broth and thyme; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes with their juice and tomato paste. Heat to boiling; boil 5 minutes. Stir in carrots, potatoes, leek, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, covered, 45 minutes or until beef and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- About 15 minutes before stew is done, preheat oven to 400°. Place bowls on cookie sheet. Bake 10 minutes to warm.
- With sharp knife, cut out 4-inch circle from top of each bread bowl, then scoop out soft center of bowls making sure bottom and sides of bowls are intact. Ladle stew into bowls. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired, and serve with soft bread center.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 631 Calories, 20g Fat (5g Saturated), 119mg Cholesterol, 939mg Sodium, 68g Carbohydrates, 6g Fiber, 44g Protein
Submit your review