Take your grill skills to the next level with this fantastically flavorful Grilled Romaine Salad!
Grilled Romaine Salad with Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing
Prep: 25 minutes
Grill: 5 minutes
Blue Cheese Dressing:
- ¾ cup Our Family® Crumbled Blue Cheese
- ½ cup Our Family® Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup Our Family® Light Sour Cream
- 1-½ tsp. fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. Our Family® Salt
- ⅛ tsp. Our Family® Garlic Powder
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1 pinch white pepper
Grilled Romaine Salad:
- 4 (8- to 10-inch) wooden skewers
- 4 ounces Our Family shredded Parmesan cheese (1 cup)
- 4 slices Our Family or Open Acres bacon
- 20 raw tail-on peeled and deveined shrimp (about 1-¼ pounds)
- 2 tsp. Cajun seasoning
- 4 medium heads Romaine lettuce
- 2 tbsp. Our Family extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp. Our Family salt
- ¼ tsp. Our Family ground black pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- ½ small Open Acres red onion, thinly sliced
- Prepare Creamy Blue Dressing: In medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Prepare Grilled Romaine Salad: Soak skewers in water 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 300°. Line rimmed baking pan with nonstick foil or parchment paper. Spread cheese in single layer on prepared baking pan and bake 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool; break into large pieces.
- In large nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat 13 to 15 minutes or until crisp, turning occasionally. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Let cool and crumble.
- Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium-low heat. Place 5 shrimp on each skewer; sprinkle both sides with Cajun seasoning. Trim core from romaine and cut each head lengthwise in half through core. Brush cut sides of lettuce with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Oil grill rack. Place shrimp skewers and lettuce, cut side down, on hot grill rack. Cook shrimp 4 to 6 minutes or until shrimp turn opaque throughout and internal temperature reaches 145°, turning once halfway through cooking; cook lettuce 3 to 5 minutes or just until outer leaves are wilted and charred.
- Place lettuce halves, cut side up, on each of 4 plates and insert 1 shrimp skewer into lettuce. Top with dressing, sprinkle with crumbled bacon, tomatoes, and onion, and garnish with cheese crisp to serve.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 785 Calories, 51g Fat (16g Saturated), 235mg Cholesterol, 1737mg Sodium, 32g Carbohydrates, 51g Protein