Soup that is a need for any cold season!
Heart Healthy Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 tablespoon Our Family canola oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1/3 cup celery, diced
- 1 32-ounce container Our Family reduced sodium chicken broth, divided
- 4 ounces or about 1 cup Our Family whole wheat spaghetti noodles, broken into one-inch size pieces; you may add more or less depending on how many ‘noodles’ you would like
- 8 to 12 ounces Open Acres Rotisserie Chicken, pulled breast and/or leg meat
- 1/2 teaspoon Our Family dried thyme
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- Our Family pepper to taste
- Add oil to a stock pot over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add garlic, onions, carrots, and celery and cook for 1 minute. Add 1/3 cup of chicken broth and continue to cook, stirring over medium-high. Repeat two more times, adding 1/3 cup chicken broth every minute and cooking until the veggies are tender.
- Add broth plus 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Add pasta and return to a boil. Reduce heat slightly and continue to lightly boil the pasta in the broth.
- While the pasta is cooking, shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Once the pasta is cooked about 8 to 10 minutes, turn off the heat. Add the chicken, parsley, and lemon juice. Adjust seasoning with pepper, and salt, if desired.