Show your guests your cooking skills with this amazing holiday dish!
Holiday Beef Wellington
Prep: 45 minutes plus chilling and standing
Roast: 50 minutes
- 1 (3-pound) center-cut beef tenderloin, fat trimmed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Our Family salt
- 1 teaspoon Our Family ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Our Family olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 pounds Open Acres mushrooms, chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 medium Open Acres onions, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon Our Family all-purpose flour
- 9 thin slices smoked ham (about 10 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons Our Family Dijon mustard
- 1 large Our Family egg
- 1 box (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed as label directs
- Our Family Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 cans (10.25 ounces each) Our family beef gravy
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
1. Sprinkle beef with 1 teaspoon salt and 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper. Rub beef with 1 tablespoon oil. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef to skillet and sear all sides until browned. Transfer beef to large plate and refrigerate 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, into same skillet, add mushrooms, onions and remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Cover and cook over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until most liquid is released from mushrooms. Stir in remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper. Stir in flour and remove skillet from heat.
3. Lay 12 x 18-inch sheet of plastic wrap on work surface. In center of plastic wrap, lay ham slices, overlapping slightly to form 12 x 14-inch rectangle. Evenly spread mushroom mixture over ham. Brush outside of beef with mustard and place beef lengthwise in center over mushroom layer. Using plastic wrap, roll ham and mushroom mixture over top and bottom of beef, leaving ends of beef uncovered. Refrigerate 15 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 400°. Remove plastic wrap from beef. In small bowl, whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon water. Cut 1 puff pastry sheet crosswise in half. Lay 1⁄2 sheet next to full sheet and brush seam with egg mixture. With fingers, pinch together seam to seal. Discard remaining 1⁄2 puff pastry sheet. Place beef lengthwise in center of puff pastry sheet and brush edges of sheet with egg mixture. Fold top and bottom ends of pastry sheet over beef, leaving ends of beef uncovered. Brush seam of puff pastry with egg mixture.
5. Spray rimmed baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place beef, seam side down, on prepared baking pan. Brush outside of pastry with egg mixture. Roast beef 50 to 55 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 135° for medium-rare. Transfer beef to cutting board and let stand 15 minutes before slicing.
6. Meanwhile, in medium saucepot, cook gravy and herbs over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes or until hot. Cut beef into 8 slices and serve with gravy.
Approximate Nutritional values per serving: 844 Calories, 61g Fat (21g Saturated), 116mg Cholesterol, 1280mg Sodium, 41g Carbohydrates, 3g Fiber, 34g Protein