Monkey Bread Makeover
Your family will go crazy over this bread!
Monkey Bread Makeover
Prep: 1 hour plus standing
Bake: 25 minutes
- 1 cup Our Family® Fat-Free Milk
- 1/3 cup Our Family® Apple Juice
- 3 tbsp. Our Family® Maple Syrup
- 1 envelope (1⁄4 oz.) Our Family® Active Dry Yeast
- 2 1⁄2 cups Our Family® All-Purpose Flour plus additional for dusting
- 1 1⁄2 cups Our Family® Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp. Our Family® Salt
- Our Family® Nonstick Baking Spray
- 2 tbsp. Our Family® Fat-Free Milk
- 2 tbsp. Our Family® Unsalted Butter
- 2/3 cup packed Our Family® Light Brown Sugar
- 3 cup granulated Our Family® Sugar
- 2 tsp. Our Family® Ground Cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup Our Family® Powdered Sugar
- 2 tbsp. Neufchâtel cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp. Our Family® Apple Juice
- 1 tsp. Our Family® Vanilla Extract
1. Prepare Dough: In small microwave-safe bowl, heat milk, juice and syrup in microwave oven on medium (50% power) 21⁄2 to 3 minutes or until mixture reaches 120 to 130°. Stir in yeast and let stand 3 to 5 minutes or until foamy.
2. In large bowl, whisk flours and salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture. Add milk mixture to flour mixture; with wooden spoon, stir until a shaggy dough forms and all of the flour is incorporated.
3. Spray large bowl with baking spray. Dust work surface and hands with flour. Turn dough onto work surface; with hands, knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 15 minutes. Place dough in prepared bowl; lightly spray top of dough with baking spray. Cover loosely with plastic wrap; let stand in warm place 1 hour or until doubled in size. Dough is ready when indentation remains when pressed with 2 fingers.
4. Prepare Cinnamon-Sugar Coating: In small microwave-safe bowl, heat milk and butter in microwave oven 1 minute or until butter is almost melted; stir until butter melts. In medium bowl, stir brown sugar, granulated sugar and cinnamon until well combined.
5. Spray 12-cup Bundt pan with baking spray. Transfer dough to work surface; punch dough down. Divide dough into 6 equal portions; cover with plastic wrap. Working with 1 piece at a time, form dough into an 8-inch rope, then cut rope into 8 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Dip ball in milk mixture, then roll in sugar mixture to coat; place in prepared pan. Repeat with remaining dough, milk mixture and sugar mixture, loosely layering balls in pan. Sprinkle any remaining sugar mixture over top. Cover loosely with plastic wrap; let stand in a warm place 1 hour or until almost doubled in size.
6. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake bread 25 minutes. Cool bread in pan on wire rack 5 minutes, then invert bread onto large serving plate.
While bread cools, prepare Glaze: In small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and cheese until smooth. Gradually whisk in juice and vanilla extract. Makes about 1⁄2 cup glaze. To serve, separate bread into balls and spoon glaze over each serving.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (3 pieces bread and 1 1⁄2 teaspoons glaze): 214 Calories, 2g Fat (1g Saturated), 6mg Cholesterol, 156mg Sodium, 45g Carbohydrates, 2g Fiber, 4g Protein
Submit your review