Sunday night dinner for the roast beef lover in any family!
Roast Beef with Rosemary, Roasted Garlic & Red Wine Sauce
Prep: 20 minutes
Roast: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 1 whole head garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Our Family olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Our Family salt
- 1 teaspoon Our Family ground black pepper
- 1 rump or bottom round beef roast (about 3 1⁄2 pounds)
- 1 can (14 ounces) less-sodium beef broth (1 3⁄4 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine such as Cabernet, Sauvignon, or Merlot
- 1 tablespoon Our Family cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Our Family unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cut off and discard about 1⁄2 inch from top of garlic to expose tips of most cloves. In small bowl, combine rosemary, 1 tablespoon oil, salt and pepper. Place beef, fat side up, in small roasting pan. Rub beef all over with oil mixture. Place garlic, cut side up, in corner of roasting pan next to beef. Drizzle remaining 1 teaspoon oil over garlic. Pour 3⁄4 cup broth into bottom of pan; set aside remaining broth to use later.
- Roast beef 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°. Roast 40 to 45 minutes longer or until internal temperature reaches 130°. Transfer beef and garlic to cutting board; loosely cover beef with foil and let stand 20 minutes. Internal temperature will rise to 145° for medium-rare.
- Meanwhile, when cool enough to handle, squeeze out pulp from garlic head into pan drippings. Lightly mash garlic with fork. Add wine to drippings and cook over medium heat 5 minutes. Mix cornstarch with remaining 1 cup broth; add to pan and heat to boiling. Boil 1 minute or until sauce thickens. Remove pan from heat. Stir in butter. Slice beef across the grain; serve with sauce.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (not including 3 cups cooked beef): 677 Calories, 34g Fat (12g Saturated), 318mg Cholesterol, 563mg Sodium, 3g Carbohydrates, 0g Fiber, 81g Protein
If not making the stew: Approximate nutritional values per serving: 368 Calories, 15g Fat (5g Saturated), 128mg Cholesterol, 1354mg Sodium, 4g Carbohydrates, 0g Fiber, 48g Protein