The perfect turkey for the perfect Thanksgiving!
Roasted Garlic & Herb Turkey
Prep: 1 hour plus standing
Roast: 3 hours
- 2 garlic heads
- Our Family Olive oil
- 12 tablespoons Our Family butter (1 1⁄2 sticks), softened
- 4 tablespoons Our Family Herb Seasoning (recipe follows)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 (12- to 14-pound) Open Acres turkey
- 2 medium Open Acres yellow onions, each cut into wedges
- 3 medium Open Acres carrots, each cut into 3-inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, each cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup Our Family all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine (such as Sauvignon Blanc)
- 1 can (14 ounces) Our Family less-sodium chicken broth (1 3⁄4 cups)
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Slice 1⁄4 inch off top of each garlic head. Place garlic, cut side up, in foil and drizzle with oil. Wrap garlic in foil to seal. Place on rimmed baking pan and roast 45 minutes. When cool enough to handle, squeeze out garlic into small bowl.
2. Increase temperature to 400°. Mash garlic with 6 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon herb seasoning, thyme, lemon juice and lemon zest. Remove neck and giblets from turkey; reserve. Tuck wing tips under to hold in place. Work your fingers between skin and breast to loosen. Evenly distribute garlic mixture under skin.
3. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons herb seasoning inside turkey cavity; fill with some vegetables. Place any remaining vegetables, neck and giblets in large roasting pan. Melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter and mix with remaining 1 tablespoon herb seasoning. Gently rub mixture over turkey skin. Place turkey in roasting pan on top of vegetables, neck and giblets.
4. Roast turkey 15 to 20 minutes or until outside is browned. Reduce temperature to 325°. Roast 2 hours longer or until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh reads 165°, rotating turkey halfway through roasting time. Transfer turkey from roasting pan to cutting board and let stand 20 minutes before carving.
5. Place roasting pan with drippings and vegetables over medium heat; whisk in flour and simmer 5 minutes. Whisk in wine; simmer 5 minutes. Add broth; simmer 20 minutes, whisking occasionally. Strain sauce though fine- mesh strainer and serve with turkey.
Mix together 1 tablespoon crushed rosemary, 1 tablespoon kosher salt, 1 tablespoon onion powder, 1 tablespoon paprika, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 2 teaspoons dried thyme, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper and 1⁄2 teaspoon rubbed sage.
Chef Tip Use remaining Herb Seasoning to flavor vegetables or mashed potatoes.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 755 Calories, 45g Fat (19g Saturated), 305mg Cholesterol, 982mg Sodium, 7g Carbohydrates, 1g Fiber, 74g Protein