Welcome to flavor town!
Roasted Maple Sweet Potatoes with Caramelized Onions and Bacon
Prep: 30 minutes
Cook/Roast: 40 minutes
- 5 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons Our Family olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Our Family salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground Our Family black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Our Family ground cinnamon
- 8 slices Our Family smoked bacon (about 1⁄2 pound), cut crosswise into 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 2 medium Open Acres onions, each cut in half and thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
1. Preheat oven to 425°. In large bowl, toss sweet potatoes, oil, salt, pepper and cinnamon until well combined. Evenly spread potato mixture on 2 rimmed baking pans. Roast 40 to 45 minutes or until potatoes are browned, stirring once halfway through cooking.
2. Meanwhile, in large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally. With slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate.
3. Drain all but 3 tablespoons bacon drippings from skillet. Add onions and cook over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 15 to 20 minutes longer or until onions are very soft and evenly browned, stirring frequently. Stir in maple syrup, lemon juice and thyme, and cook 5 to 7 minutes or until syrup is reduced by half and slightly thickened.
4. In large bowl, toss potatoes, bacon and onion mixture until well combined.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 242 Calories, 4g Fat (1g Saturated), 3mg Cholesterol, 163mg Sodium, 48g Carbohydrates, 5g Fiber, 4g Protein