A cross between short bread and pie, this will be a recipe you will make over and over again!
Rustic Apple Tart
- 1 ½ cups Our Family® All-Purpose Flour, sifted
- 2 tbsp. Our Family® Powdered Sugar, sifted
- 4 oz. Our Family® Butter, chilled and chopped
- 1 Our Family® Egg Yolk
- 6 peeled, cored and sliced Our Family® Apples
- 2 cups Our Family® Apple Juice
- 1 tsp. Our Family® Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. Our Family® Ground Nutmeg
- 1 cup Our Family® Sugar
- ¼ cup Our Family® Cornstarch
- ¾ cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Sift flour and powdered sugar into a large bowl. Use two knives to cut butter into the flour/sugar mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of water and mix with fingers until dough comes together. Turn onto a floured surface and gather into a ball (knead lightly if necessary). Flatten ball slightly and refrigerate in plastic wrap for 15 minutes. On a lightly floured board, roll the pastry out to a 14-inch circle. Line a greased 8-inch tart pan (removable bottom) with the rolled out dough, leaving the extra pastry to hang over the edge (don’t worry if the dough cracks or breaks, it’s ok to pinch it back together). Set pastry lined tart pan aside.
- In large saucepan over medium high heat combine apples, apple juice, sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon. Cook until mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook until apples are just tender. Remove apples with slotted spoon and set apples aside. In a small bowl, mix cold water and cornstarch together until cornstarch dissolves. Bring apple juice mixture back to a boil and add cornstarch mixture. Stir until apple juice mixture becomes thick and glossy. Add cooked apples back to thickened apple juice and toss apples until well combined. Set apple mixture aside to cool.
- Fill tart crust with apple filling. Fold the overhanging pastry roughly over the fruit and sprinkle with two tablespoons of sugar. Bake tart for 40 minutes or until crust is golden. When cool remove sides of tart pan and dust with sifted powdered sugar. Serve warm or cold.
Submit your review