What’s the big hurry? Take your time with this wonderful slow-cooked turkey chili.
Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
Prep: 30 minutes • Cook: 5 hours, 20 minutes
- 1 can (15 ounces) Our Family chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) Our Family great northern beans, drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) Our Family crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) Our Family tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Our Family cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Our Family ground cumin
- 1-½ pounds ground turkey
- 1-½ green, red, and/or orange bell peppers, coarsely chopped (2 cups)
- ¼ cup Our Family chili powder
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup Our Family extra virgin olive oil
- 2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium yellow onions, coarsely chopped (2 cups)
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 teaspoons minced jalapeño pepper
- 4-½ cups chopped skinless turkey meat (1-½ pounds)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups less-sodium Our Family chicken broth
- Our Family shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream (optional)
- In large saucepot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey and cook 5 to 7 minutes or until browned, breaking up turkey with side of spoon.
- Stir in chili powder, salt, cayenne, and cumin. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, leftover turkey, cilantro, and jalapeno. Stir in beans, celery, onions, bell peppers, and broth; heat to boiling over high heat. Boil 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; cook chili 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer chili to 5 to 6 quart slow cooker; cover and cook on high 5 to 6 hours. To serve, top chili with cheese, and sour cream, if desired.
Approximate nutritional values per serving:
375 Calories, 12g Fat (2g Saturated), 83mg Cholesterol, 1348mg Sodium, 35g Carbohydrates, 9g Fiber, 36g Protein