For your next BBQ!
Smoky BBQ Pork Sandwiches
Prep: 40 minutes
Cook: 7 hours 30 minutes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup packed Our Family light brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons Our Family chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Our Family ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Our Family cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Our Family ground black pepper
- 1 (6-pound) bone-in pork shoulder picnic roast, fat trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 mediumOpen Acres yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) lager beer
- 2 cups Our Family barbeque sauce
- 10 onion buns
- 10 slices smoked Gouda cheese (optional)
1. In small bowl, combine garlic, brown sugar, chili powder, coriander, cayenne pepper and black pepper. Place pork and seasonings into slow-cooker bowl; stir to mix well. Add onions and pour in beer, making sure onions are submerged in liquid. Cover and cook on high 7 to 8 hours or until pork shreds easily.
2. Transfer pork to large bowl. With slotted spoon, remove onions to bowl with pork. With 2 forks, shred pork. Remove and discard all but 1⁄2 cup liquid remaining in slow-cooker bowl. Return pork and onions to slow cooker; stir in barbeque sauce. Cover and cook on high 30 minutes. Serve on onion buns with cheese, if desired.
Chef Tip For variety, top pork with a vinegar-based coleslaw.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 465 Calories, 26g Fat (9g Saturated), 91mg Cholesterol, 652mg Sodium, 28g Carbohydrates, 2g Fiber, 26g Protein