Amy Zielenga’s amazingly delicious soup for any cold day!
Bacon Corn Chowder
- 1 lb. Our Family bacon (save 3 tablespoons bacon grease for thickening)
- 5 medium Open Acres potatoes, cooked and diced (save 1 cup of potato water for thickening)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups Our Family milk
- 1 can Our Family whole kernel corn
- 2 cans Our Family cream style corn
- ¼ cup Our Family butter
- ¼ cup Our Family flour
- 1-½ teaspoons Our Family salt
- Dash of Our Family pepper
- Our Family American cheese, cubed
- Sauté onion in bacon grease and butter, slowly add in flour and potato water to make thickening.
- In a large pot on low heat, combine milk, corn, salt and pepper. Add in cooked potatoes. Add thickening mixture.
- Stir on low until heated through.
- In the bottom of each serving bowl, add crumbled bacon and cheese. Pour soup over top and enjoy.
“This Bacon Corn Chowder is a definite favorite and tradition, especially around the holidays. Mom would make this soup along with another family favorite, White Chicken Chili, every Christmas Eve, enjoyed with warm garlic bread sticks and a veggie platter. Now that my two brothers and I have families of our own and live states apart, we always try to make it back “home” for the holidays. Amidst all of the noise, hustle and bustle and clatter, the warm smell of soup and home bring a sense of comfort and family togetherness like nothing else can. It’s our family favorite, and we are thankful to have such a tradition.”
— Amy Zeilenga, Dorr, MI