Kickin’ Cheeseburger Soup
- 1-¾ cups water
- 4 carrots
- 1 green pepper
- 2 jalapeño peppers
- 3-4 average Russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2-½ cups Our Family milk
- 3 tablespoons Our Family all-purpose flour
- 8 oz. Our Family cheddar cheese
- 8 oz. Our Family pepper jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ lb. Our Family bacon
- Peel, wash and grate carrots. Chop green pepper. De-seed and chop jalapeño pepper. Peel, wash and cube potatoes. Brown and drain ground beef. Cook and crumble bacon.
- Boil for 15 mins: water, carrots, green pepper, jalapeño pepper, potatoes, garlic, bouillon and salt.
- Add ground beef and 2 cups milk to pot. Bring to boil.
- In bowl, combine 1/2 cup milk and flour stir until no clumps. Slowly add bowl contents while stirring pot. Bring to boil.
- Lower to simmer. While stirring, add both cheeses and cayenne pepper.
- Serve into bowls and add bacon to top.
“I love Kickin’ Cheeseburger Soup because it reminds me of my grandparents. Grandma would cook this when Grandpa would take the grandkids fishing. She knew Grandpa was an awful fisherman – spending most of his time socializing at neighbor’s docks – so she needed something the grandkids would like and that could be stored if Grandpa actually got lucky fishing, and Cheeseburger Soup was born. The ‘Kickin” part is a modern addition to spice it up a bit, yet stay true to the roots.”
— Frederick Brushaber, Grand Blanc, MI