Rebecca Bartels’ would like to pass down her family’s soups recipe to yours!
Fourth Generation Italian Wedding Soup
For the Soup Base:
- Three 32 ounce boxes of Our Family chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (for cooking)
- 2 Open Acres carrots, diced
- 3 ribs of celery, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 ounces baby spinach (about ½ bag)
- One 16 ounce box acini de pepe
For the Meatballs:
- ½ lb. Open Acres New York boneless pork chops, ground
- ½ lb. Open Acres ground beef
- 1 Our Family egg
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- ½ cup Our Family Italian blend cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground fennel
- Sauté carrots, celery, and onion in 1 tbsp. olive oil until vegetables are softened, approximately 20 minutes.
- While vegetables are softening, mix ground pork chops, ground beef, egg, dried parsley, cheese, garlic and fennel in a separate bowl. Roll mixture into 1 inch meatballs.
- When vegetables are softened, add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add in meatballs. Cover and reduce heat. Let simmer for 20 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
- Prepare pasta according to directions.
- Mix cooked pasta and spinach in with soup base. Simmer until spinach starts to wilt, approximately 2 minutes.
- Serve and top with Our Family cheese!
“This Italian Wedding Soup recipe has been in my family for four generations, but now I make it for my family with a little help from the affordability and quality of Our Family products. Even Grandma agrees that I make it best! I serve this warming and hearty soup on a cold Michigan winter day.”
— Rebecca Bartels, Wyoming, MI