Rita Tomaro’s amazing soup recipe will have you grabbing seconds!
“Delicioso” Mediterranean Sup-perb Soup
- 2-½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 6 ounce ground Mexican chorizo, casing removed
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- One 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup cleaned and peeled baby carrots, cut into ½-inch slices
- 1 cup angel hair green cabbage coleslaw
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground tumeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- One 49.5 ounce can fat free chicken stock
- One 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cubed butternut squash
- 3 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- One 5 ounce package baby kale mix, lightly chopped
- One 15.25 ounce can black beans, drained
- One 15.5 ounce can cannellini beans, drained
- Fresh ground black pepper and kosher salt to taste
- Optional garnish, fresh chopped parsley
- Heat olive oil in large, heavy bottom soup pan over medium heat. Stir in onion, cook for 5 minutes. Add red bell pepper to center of pan and cook for 8 more minutes. Add chorizo, brown lightly. Add minced garlic, cook 1 minute till fragrant.
- Stir in tomatoes with juice, baby carrots and green cabbage. Add paprika, turmeric, coriander and cumin. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, tomato paste, squash, potatoes, baby kale mix, cannellini black beans and water. Cover and simmer for one and one half hours. Season with fresh ground black pepper and kosher salt to taste.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and slight drizzle of olive oil.
“I was blown away walking down the produce aisle of the newly renovated Forest Hills Foods. Seeing the expanded, gorgeous variety of selection and colorful presentation opened my mind to start cooking again (I had formerly lost interest). It reminded me of my restaurant experiences while visiting Barcelona, Spain and also gave me an opportunity to honor ‘Big Joe,’ a beloved family relative of Portuguese heritage who had a golden touch in the kitchen. It all inspired me to go home and make a flavorful, healthy hearty soup for my family and good friends!”
— Rita Tomaro, Grand Rapids, MI