Be the hero of your next tailgate or game day party with these amazing Sausage Heros!
Tailgate Sausage Heros
Prep: 15 minutes • Cook: 33 minutes
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces cherry tomatoes, each cut in half
- 1-½ medium yellow onions, each cut in half and sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 green and/or red bell peppers, sliced ¼-inch thick
- ¾ cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- 6 sweet or hot Italian sausage links
- 6 hoagie or sub buns (6-inch)
- In large saucepot, cook sausage over medium to medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes, turning frequently with tongs to brown all sides. Stir in bell peppers and onions, and cook 7 to 8 minutes or until onions and peppers are lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and Italian seasoning, and cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and cook 1 minute. Add water and stir to loosen brown bits from bottom of pot. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 15 minutes or until sausage is cooked through, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Slice buns lengthwise in half, but do not cut all the way through the buns. Place 1 sausage into each bun. Spoon pepper mixture over sausage and sprinkle with cheese.
Approximate nutritional values per serving:
444 Calories, 19g Fat (7g Saturated), 71mg Cholesterol, 1166mg Sodium, 41g Carbohydrates, 3g Fiber, 32g Protein