Bring a little taste of orange to your Thanksgiving dinner!
Turkey à la Orange
Prep: 45 minutes
Roast/Cook: 4 hours
- 1 (10- to 12-pound) Open Acres turkey
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon Our Family salt
- 1 tablespoon Our Family ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon Our Family garlic powder
- 2 medium oranges, each cut in half
- 3 tablespoons Our Family unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cans (14 ounces each) Our Family less-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup cognac
- 1 cup Our Family frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1⁄4 cup Our Family cornstarch
1. Preheat oven to 450°. Remove neck, giblets and liver from turkey. Place neck and giblets in large roasting pan; discard liver. Tuck wing tips under turkey to hold in place.
2. In small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons salt, pepper, 1 tablespoon rosemary, 1 tablespoon thyme and garlic powder. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons seasoning mixture inside turkey cavity. Squeeze juice from oranges inside turkey cavity; place orange halves inside turkey cavity. Rub turkey skin with butter; sprinkle remaining seasoning mixture over butter. Place turkey in roasting pan on top of neck and giblets.
3. Roast turkey 30 minutes or until outside is browned. Reduce heat to 225°. Roast 3 hours longer or until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh reads 165°, rotating turkey halfway through roasting time. Transfer turkey from roasting pan to cutting board and let stand 20 minutes before carving.
4. Meanwhile, skim fat from roasting pan. Place roasting pan with drippings over medium heat. Add broth and cognac, and heat to simmering. Cook 15 minutes. Strain sauce through fine-mesh strainer and return sauce to roasting pan. Heat sauce to simmering and stir in orange juice concentrate and remaining 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon rosemary and 1 tablespoon thyme. In small bowl, whisk together water and cornstarch; whisk into sauce, heat to boiling and boil 1 minute. Remove roasting pan from heat. Remove and discard oranges from turkey cavity. Slice turkey and serve with sauce.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 447 Calories, 20g Fat (7g Saturated), 165mg Cholesterol, 2044mg Sodium, 16g Carbohydrates, 1g Fiber, 46g Protein