For those cold winter days!
Vegetable Beef Stew
Prep: 25 minutes
Cook: 1 hour
- 2 1⁄2 pounds boneless sirloin tip roast, fat trimmed, cut into 1 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup Our Family all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Our Family vegetable oil
- 4 celery stalks, coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 4 medium Open Acrescarrots, coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium Open Acres yellow onion, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 medium Open Acres Idaho russet potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced Our Family tomatoes
- 1 can (14 ounces) Our Family less-sodium beef broth (1 3⁄4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves plus additional leaves for garnish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Our Family Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon Our Family ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Our Family salt
1. In large bowl, toss beef with flour to coat. In large saucepot, heat oil over medium-high heat. In 2 batches, add beef and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until beef is browned, stirring occasionally. With slotted spoon, transfer beef to large bowl.
2. Reduce heat to medium. Add celery, carrots, garlic and onion, and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is tender. Add wine and cook 1 minute, stirring to loosen any browned bits from bottom of saucepot. Stir in remaining ingredients, including beef; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, covered, 1 hour or until beef and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
3. Ladle stew into bowls. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 318 Calories, 8g Fat (2g Saturated), 64mg Cholesterol, 436mg Sodium, 26g Carbohydrates, 4g Fiber, 26g Protein