Our yummy soup will warm you up on those chilling fall days!
Voodoo Black Bean Soup
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 2 hours 20 minutes
- 1 (2-pound) bone-in pork shoulder, fat trimmed
- 2 teaspoons Louisiana-style Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Our Family olive oil
- 8 ounces Chorizo or other smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1 cup Open Acres diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup Open Acres diced yellow onion
- 1 cup seeded and diced poblano peppers
- 6 cups Our Family reduced sodium chicken broth
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) Our Family black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Our Family Sour cream and hot sauce (optional)
1. Rub all sides of pork with seasoning. In large saucepot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add pork and cook 4 to 6 minutes, turning to brown all sides. Reduce heat to medium and cook 5 minutes longer; remove pork.
2. Add sausage and cook 5 minutes or until browned. Add garlic, jalapeño, carrots, celery, onion and poblano peppers. Cook 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Add broth and pork, and heat to simmering. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 2 hours or until meat easily pulls away from bone, turning pork halfway through cooking.
3. Remove pork from saucepot and shred with 2 forks. Add beans, chipotle peppers, thyme and shredded pork to saucepot; cover and cook over medium heat 5 minutes. Ladle soup into soup bowls. Serve with sour cream and hot sauce, if desired.
Chef Tip Since the amount of heat in specific types of chile peppers may vary, adjust the amount of poblano peppers or chipotle peppers in this recipe according to personal taste preferences.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 427 Calories, 22g Fat (7g Saturated), 63mg Cholesterol, 1293mg Sodium, 28g Carbohydrates, 10g Fiber, 26g Protein