Save this recipe! When the days are cold and gloomy, you will love something warm and filling like this wonderful chicken chili.
White Bean Chicken Chili
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 45 minutes
- 8 slices Our Family turkey bacon, cut crosswise into ¼-inch strips
- 2 green and/or red bell peppers, diced
- 1 medium Open Acres yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon Our Family chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon Our Family oregano
- 1-½ teaspoons Our Family ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Our Family garlic powder
- 1 cup Our Family all-purpose flour
- 1-¼ teaspoons Our Family salt
- ½ teaspoon Our Family cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon Our Family ground black pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) Our Family diced tomatoes, drained
- 6 cups rinsed and drained canned Our Family great Northern beans
- 6 cups Our Family reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 Open Acres boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 8 ounces)
- ½ teaspoon jerk seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Our Family olive oil
- Light sour cream, pico de gallo, and cilantro leaves for garnish (optional)
- In large saucepot, cook bacon over medium-high heat 4 to 5 minutes or until crisp, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium. Add bell peppers, and onion, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in chili powder, marjoram, oregano, cumin, and garlic powder, and cook 1 minute. Stir in flour, salt, cayenne pepper, and black pepper.
- Add tomatoes, beans, broth, and lemon juice, and bring to a simmer; simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle both sides of chicken with jerk seasoning. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until deep brown in color, turning once. Reduce heat to medium, and cook chicken 5 to 6 minutes longer or until internal temperature reaches 165°, turning occasionally. Cut chicken into ½ inch pieces.
- Ladle chili into serving bowls and top with chicken. Garnish with sour cream, pico de gallo and cilantro, if desired.
Approximate nutritional values per serving:
316 Calories, 4g Fat (1g Saturated), 19mg Cholesterol, 892mg Sodium, 47g Carbohydrates, 10g Fiber, 22g Protein