The most flavorful and tender chicken you’ll have!
Whole Roasted Citrus Chicken with Hot Honey
Prep: 15 minutes, plus standing
Roast: 1 hour 50 minutes
- 1 (5- to 6-lbs.) Open Acres™ Whole Roasting Chicken
- 1 Our Family® Extra Large Oval Roaster Pan
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 medium Open Acres™ Lemon
- 1 medium Open Acres™ Orange
- 1/4 medium grapefruit
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 3 tbsp. Our Family® Olive Oil
- 2 lbs. Our Family® Red Potatoes, quartered
- 1/2 lb. Our Family® Baby Carrots
- 1 medium fennel bulb, cut into 1-inch pieces, 1/4 cup fronds reserved for garnish, if desired
- 1/2 cup Our Family® Honey
- 1/2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°. Remove giblets from chicken cavity and discard; pat dry with paper towels. Place chicken in roaster pan; sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper inside cavity. Cut lemon, orange and grapefruit in half; squeeze juice from fruit over chicken and inside cavity. Place lemon, orange and grapefruit pieces, and thyme inside cavity; brush chicken skin with 2 tablespoons oil, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Tie legs of chicken together with kitchen string; roast 30 minutes or until outside is browned. Reduce oven temperature to 375°.
- In large bowl, toss potatoes, carrots, fennel, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and 1 tablespoon oil; spread around chicken in pan. Roast chicken and vegetables 1 hour 20 minutes or until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh reaches 165° and vegetables are tender. Let chicken stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- In small bowl, whisk honey and cayenne pepper. Makes about 1/2 cup.
- Serve chicken drizzled with honey mixture sprinkled with fronds, if desired, along with vegetables.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (1/8 chicken, 3/4 cup vegetables, 1 tablespoon hot honey): 565 Calories, 25g Fat, 6g Saturated Fat, 131mg Cholesterol, 628mg Sodium, 40g Carbohydrates, 3g Fiber, 20g Sugars, 17g Added Sugars, 43g Protein
Submit your review