Try out Mac and Cheese in a new and delicious way. With the perfect amount of crunch, the whole family is sure to enjoy these Mac and Cheese “Cakes”
Mac and Cheese “Cakes”
Prep: 25 minutes plus cooling and chilling
Cook: 8 minutes
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 box (7.25 oz.) Our Family® Mac and Cheese Dinner
- 1/3 cup Our Family® Whole Milk
- 4 tbsp. Our Family® Unsalted Butter
- 3 Our Family® Large Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Our Family® Bread Crumbs
- 1 cup Our Family® Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 cup Our Family® Plain Greek Yogurt plus additional for serving (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. Our Family® Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Our Family® Black Pepper
- 1/4 cup Our Family® All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp. Our Family® 100% Pure Olive Oil
- Baby arugula, chopped cooked bacon, hot sauce and/or sliced green onion for serving (optional)
- Spray 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Prepare Mac and Cheese Dinner with milk and 3 tablespoons butter as label directs; cool 15 minutes.
- In large bowl, whisk 1 egg; stir in 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, cheese, yogurt, salt, pepper and mac and cheese mixture. Spread in prepared dish, pressing down with back of spoon to pack tightly. Cover and refrigerate mac and cheese at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- In wide shallow dish, whisk remaining 2 eggs; place flour and remaining 1 cup breadcrumbs in 2 separate wide shallow dishes. With 3 3/4-inch round cutter, cut 4 “cakes” from mac and cheese mixture. Working with 1 “cake” at a time, press 1 side of “cake” into flour, shaking off excess, then dip in egg, then in breadcrumbs to coat; repeat with other side and place on large plate.
- In large skillet, heat oil and remaining 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat; add “cakes” and cook 8 minutes or until golden brown and heated through, turning once. Makes 4 “cakes.”
- Serve “cakes” over arugula topped with bacon, hot sauce, green onion and/or yogurt, if desired.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (1 “cake”): 483 Calories, 22g Fat, 8g Saturated Fat, 142mg Cholesterol, 716mg Sodium, 49g Carbohydrates, 2g Fiber, 6g Sugars, 0g Added Sugars, 17g Protein
Chef’s Tip: Use holiday cookie cutters to cut special shapes such as hearts for Valentine’s Day or ghosts for Halloween. Or, use a 1-inch round cutter for smaller party bites. Leftover mac and cheese scraps can be wrapped and refrigerated up to 5 days.
Submit your review